VA Pension Program

What is the Veteran’s Pension program?

The Veteran’s Pension program exists to provide monthly payments to wartime veterans who meet certain age or disability requirements, and who have income and net worth within certain limits.

Am I eligible for a Veteran’s Pension?

To qualify for the Veteran’s Pension program, you must be a wartime veteran who didn’t receive a dishonorable discharge and your yearly family income and net worth (all personal property you own—excluding your home, car, and most home furnishings—minus any debt you owe) must meet limits set by the VA. Your net worth also includes your spouse’s net worth, if applicable.

Additionally, the following statements must be true.

  • The veteran served at least 1 day of active duty during a war time period within a 90 day
    period of service.
  • The veteran or widow require help with at least two activities of daily living form another
    person wile a resident in their home, Assisted Living or Nursing Home.
  • Any branch of service is eligible.

Finally, to qualify for a Veteran’s Pension, you must also meet at least one of the following qualifications:

  • You are at least 65 years old
  • You have a permanent and total disability
  • You are a patient in a nursing home or Assisted Living for long-term care due to a disability or you require assistance from another person while in your home.

What are the options for survivors or dependents of a wartime veteran?

For spouse of a decreased wartime veteran that was receiving a service related disability pension, the VA Survivors Pension offers monthly payments to those who meet certain income and net worth limits set by Congress. Options for survivors include Dependents Indemnity Compensation (DIC), an entitlement benefit paid to spouses of decreased veterans who meet certain qualifications, and Special Monthly Pension of Aid & Attendance for veterans that have disabilities that are not related to their service period.

What is the difference between DIC and Special Monthly pension of Aid & Attendance?

DIC is an entitlement benefit paid to eligible survivors of deceased veterans who meet certain qualifications, while a Aid & Attendance is a need-based financial benefit payable to the veteran or un-remarried surviving spouses of a deceased veteran.

What are VA Aid and Attendance Benefits?

VA Aid and Attendance benefits, or homebound benefits, is a program that helps veterans and their surviving spouses pay for assistance they need with everyday functions, such as eating, bathing, and medication management while residing in their home, Assisted Living or Nursing Home.

Can I receive a Veteran’s Pension and Medicaid at the same time?

Receiving a Veteran’s Pension may disqualify you from receiving Medicaid benefits. This is often because the level of income assistance received from VA benefits exceeds the maximum allowable amount of monthly income that Medicaid recipients can receive.

How do I decide between a Veteran’s Pension and Medicaid?

Since you likely cannot receive both, it is important to consider the benefits of both a Veteran’s Pension and Medicaid to find the best options for you and your family. When it comes to choosing between a Veteran’s Pension and Medicaid, the type of care that a veteran requires is usually a major deciding factor. For those who require home care or an assisted living facility, the Veteran’s Homebound or Aid and Attendance pension might be the best option, while Medicaid may be a better option for those seeking nursing home care.

What income is considered during the Veteran’s Pension eligibility process?

Your income includes how much you earn, including your Social Security Benefits, investment and retirement payments, and any income your dependents receive. Caregiver expenses or other medical expenses including medical insurance premiums may be considered allowable deductions to reduce your countable income.


Information shared on this web page is for general information purposes only. It does not constitute legal, tax, investment, or other advice, nor is it intended to recommend any particular investments products, legal documents or financial instruments. Always seek advice from your financial advisor, attorney, or accountant with regard to investments, legal, or tax questions.

Contact Us